Студопедия

КАТЕГОРИИ:


Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)

Read the descriptions of Volgograd sights (A, B, C, D, E, F) and match them with their names (a, b, c, d, e, f)




Writing

Read about Volgograd sights again. Choose a text you like best and retell it.

Speaking

Volgograd Tram

The first tram line in Tsaritsyn was constructed in 1915. It ran from the centre of the city to the end of the city (now it is the place, where Krasnooktyabrskiy district is). In 60 years (1975) the tram line was reconstructed because of new buildings in the northern part of the city.

Nowadays the tram system consists of 22 stations. Volgograd is a difficult city to drive in because of the heavy traffic. That is why people often use trams. Volgograd tram is famous for its not ordinal underground tram line where only three stations are: Komsomolskaya, Lenin Square and Pionerskaya.

 

2. What other attractions do you know in Volgograd? Name them.

 

A. Its central part is the ruins of the Destroyed Mill and the legendary Pavlov House. The building was designed under supervision of the People’s Architect of the USSR V. Maslyaev and chief design-engineer E. Temnikov. The main building of the complex is the museum. On the upper floor of it there is the great canvas “The Defeat of German Fascist Troops in Stalingrad”.

B. It was a gift to Stalingrad by the German Democratic Republic and was opened on September 19, 1954. The dome of the building is crowned with the Statue of Peace – the last work of a well-known sculptor V.I. Mukhina. In the 22 metres high observatory there is a huge telescope. With its help it is very convenient to demonstrate sunrises, twinkling of stars, northern lights, space satellites movement and meteorite falling. Near the building you can find an astronomical park with astronomical tools, such as an armillary sphere, a globe and a solar station.

C. It was built in 1899. In 1954 it got the status of a cathedral. It bears the name of the miracle-working icon of Kazan Blessed Virgin, who is believed to be a patroness of Russia in hard times. The legend says that it protected Russia during the Troubled Times of the Polish invasion.

D. It is a monument of architecture of the 19th century. The tower was built in 1891-1897. It was reconstructed in 1948-1952 and restored using the old technique typical of Tsaritsyn. In front of the tower there is a unique combined coat of arms of Saratov Province and Tsaritsyn Uyezd.

E. It was in the 17th century when Peter the Great had an idea to connect two great rivers – the Volga and the Don. But it became possible only in the 20th century. It was designed by a team of engineers headed by an academician C.Y. Zhuk. On July 27, 1952 the first ship entered the lock-chamber No. 1. It is 101 km long and has 13 locks. The 1st and the 13th locks are decorated with triumphal arches. Due to it Volgograd has become the port of five seas – the Baltic, the White, the Black, the Azov and the Caspian ones.

 

F. It was opened in September 10, 1962. Every year it produces 11 billion kilowatts of electricity an hour. The whole waterworks facility is about 5 kilometres long. The design was made at Gidroproject Research Institute under the supervision of an academician C.Y. Zhuk and a chief engineer A.V. Mikhalkov.

 

a. The Fire-tower of the First Fire Brigade in Tsaritsyn

b. Kazan Cathedral

c. Volzhsky Hydro-Power Station

d. Lenin Volgo-Don Canal

e. The Planetarium

f. The Museum-Panorama of Stalingrad Battle.




Поделиться с друзьями:


Дата добавления: 2014-12-08; Просмотров: 767; Нарушение авторских прав?; Мы поможем в написании вашей работы!


Нам важно ваше мнение! Был ли полезен опубликованный материал? Да | Нет



studopedia.su - Студопедия (2013 - 2024) год. Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав! Последнее добавление




Генерация страницы за: 0.009 сек.