1. Переведите на русский язык следующие словосочетания.
Minefield of health risks, eating disorders, disturbing duo, heart disease, adolescents, preliminary good news, seniors, mental turmoil, suicide, obesity, to succeed, lifetime, increased risk, decline, psychiatric, to face.
2. Соотнесите слова с их значениями.
1. anorexia a) a state of confusion, excitement and trouble
2. disorder b) to cause some result or change, influence
3. substance abuse c) an uncomfortable feeling in the mind caused by the fear
4. obesity d) a disease which causes the bones to weaken and become easily
5. decline e) the habit of taking too much drugs, so you’re harmed by them
6. anxiety f) a strong dislike or fear of something, the condition that may be a
part of mental illness
7. to affect g) the condition of being too fat in a way that is dangerous to your health
8. turmoil h) period or process of declining, movement to a lower position
9. osteoporosis i) a mental illness that makes people, esp. young women stop eating
10. phobia j) an illness which prevents part of your body from working properly
3. Найдите в тексте синонимы к следующим словам.
Youth, to continue, disorder, default, exact, astonishing, disturbing, to influence, optimistic, stable, to contain, often.
4. Вставьте правильные предлоги или наречия. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. If you are not sure how to spell a word, look it … in the dictionary. 2. Who’s going to look …… the dog while you’re on holiday? 3. I can’t wait for the camping trip, I’m really looking …… it. 4.Tracy has lost her keys. She’s been looking …. them all the morning. 5. When we were young, my grandmother used to look …. us at the weekends. 6. Excuse me. I’m looking …. Mount Street. Could you tell me where it is? 7. I don’t remember Lisa’s address. Let’s look it … in the phone book. 8. Ted has got a dentist’s appointment on Monday. But he isn’t looking … it at all.
5. Вставьте подходящие по смыслу слова в предложения и переведите их.
anxiety, preliminary, overweight, faced, suicide, concern, binge, to effect, turmoil, illegal
1. Driving a car without a license is … . 2. The report expressed serious … about the doctor’s competence. 3. We waited with great … for more news about the accident. 4. They went on a … and didn’t get back until three in the morning. 5. The parcel is … by two kilos. 6. We have tried our best to … a reconciliation between the two parties. 7. It would be political … to hold an election now. 8. The students take a … test in March and the min exam in July. 9. The hotel … a stunning view of the mountains. 10. Susan couldn’t think; her mind was a complete … .
6. Употребите глагол в скобках в нужном времени страдательного залога, соблюдая правило согласования времён.
1. I asked my friend why he (not to be shown) to the doctor. 2. Robert asked me what language (to be taught) at school. 3. They said the main properties (to be determined) when the experiment (to be finished). 4. Father said that all the necessary information (to be stored) in the computer now. 5. The editor said that my poems (to be published) by the end of the year. 6. The professor said that the positive results (to be obtained) when a new device was installed. 7. He wondered if a lot of fruit trees (to be grown) in our garden. 8. He asked me if I (to be informed) Ben (to be sent) for New York. 9. George explained that his mother (to be taken) to hospital. 10. Henry said that his daughter (to be interested) in music since her childhood.
7. Поставьте глаголы в Past Perfect Tense или в Past Continuous Tense
1. When we (finish) dinner, Susan took the dishes away. 2. The tower clock chimed two o’clock while Aunt Polly (eat) her dinner. 4. As Mike (walk) the street, Mr. Brown went by. 5. I remembered Tom (bring) a box of chocolate for you. 6. The dog opened its mouth, just as if it (talk). 7. Peter told us he (buy) two new suits. 8. While the soldiers (march), the rain began to fall. 9. John said to me that he (ask) a friend to come for a chat. 10. I did not know Shakespeare (write) more than thirty plays. 11.The children (work) hard yesterday morning.
8. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в нужной форме. Устно переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. If you (to turn) out the light, we will be in the dark. 2. If I (to know) her well, I would have spoken to her. 3. If you (to study) hard, you will easily pass your exam. 4. If I not (to have) to work today, I would go to the cinema with you. 5. I wish he (to be) with us now. 6. If he not (to waste) so much time in class, he would have made better progress. 7. She looked as if she (to be) afraid of something. 8. If the boy (to know) English better, he would read some English books in the original. 9. If he (to know) grammar better, he would not make any mistakes. 10.If you (to take) the noon train, you would get there about four o’clock. 11. If Mary (to leave) right away, she would be there in an hour. 12. It is time we (to go) home.
9. Письменно переведите на русский язык предложения, обратите внимание на различное лексическое значение модальных глаголов.
1. Shall I read? 2. Need we do this task now? – No, you needn’t. 3. This knife won’t cut! 4. Salary would certainly be raised. 5. Would you tell me the truth, please? 6. Our granny would sit for hours without saying a word after Grandfather’s death. 7. Will you close the window, please? 8. You should stop eating so much. – But I will! 9. She shall regret about this! 10. Shall I read? 11. Need we do this task now? – No, you needn’t. 12. He used to be able to swim across the river, but he is too weak now. 13. She would read Latin when she was twelve! 14. How dare he come here? 15. Life is easier nowadays than it used to be centuries ago. 16. Nick used to play baseball a lot before he got old. 17. You needn’t come so early. 19. Shall I tell you how it all happened?
10. Переведите предложения на английский язык.
1. Завтра в это время мой учитель будет просматривать (look through) мой доклад (report). 2. Почтальон принес письмо. Я жду это письмо уже несколько недель. 3. К приходу друзей я прочитал уже две главы. 4. Не входите в класс. Студенты сдают сейчас экзамены. 5. Завтра к двум часам дня мы напишем сочинение.6. Она уже давно разговаривает по телефону. 7. Петр закончил вторую главу книги и сейчас пишет третью. Он работает над книгой уже год. Я думаю, что к концу будущего года он ее закончит. 8. Он вернулся домой, пообедал и стал читать газету. Он читал газету уже 20 минут к тому времени, когда позвонил его друг. 9. Завтра я буду писать сочинение (essay) по этой теме (on this subject). 10. Завтра в 10 часов утра мы будем писать сочинение на эту тему. 11. Дети уже видели этот фильм. Он не очень интересный.
11. Вставьте вместо пропусков необходимый артикль.
1. Have you got ….map of … world? 2. How many states are there in …. USA? 3. …. Delhi is …. capital of … India. 4. We have … lot of new cities in … east and in … west, in … north and in … south of our …. country. 5. … Thames, … Avon are in …. England. 6. …. Canada is one of …. largest states in …. world. 7. …. western part of this country is densely populated. 8. In … east …. Russian Federation is washed by … Pacific Ocean. 9. … Glasgow is …large port. 10. Asia is … large continent. 11. … Lena is …. Siberian river. 12. …. capital of … France is …. Paris. 13. …. Indian Ocean in … south of Asia. 14. Is …. Spain in … north or in … south of …. Europe?
12. Прочитайте следующие глаголы и существительные, определите способ словообразования. Поставьте ударение в двусложных словах. Переведите слова на русский язык.
to export – exports, to work – work, to play – a play, to import – imports, an increase – to increase, to present – a present, a contrast – to contrast, to contact – a contact, to walk – a walk, to comfort – a comfort, to set – a set
ЧЕТВЁРТЫЙ ВАРИАНТ КОНТРОЛЬНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ №3
1. Прочитайте текст и письменно ответьте по-английски на вопросы, следующие за текстом.
Imagine being able to attend classes while wearing pyjamas. Or studying at a university located 500 miles away. These possibilities may become facts in the near future as more and more schools focus on the chatrooms as a place to educate rather than the classroom.
Universities that use the Internet to educate are often called “Virtual Universities”, where the education is real but the lessons take place in living rooms and libraries. They are viewed by many as being a tool that allows more people access to learning opportunities. Besides, a virtual university would lower tuition costs. However, these savings would come at the expense could become socially isolated. There would be less interaction or time to ask questions.
And sometimes the most important lessons are not taught in lecture halls but in residence halls and through extracurricular activities where students learn to become a part of a small society. While these aspects of universities may seem to represent the best possible situation, the reality is that many deserving people cannot afford to take classes, cannot find time to go during the day or do not have the ability to commute.
For many of these people, taking classes over the Internet has become a viable option and many public universities across the country have started to offer these classes, although on a very minor scale.
California is currently one of the leading states to offer access to online courses. The California Virtual University offers a Web site at http:www.California.edu with information and connections to more than 40 post-secondary schools in California that offer classes through the Internet.
The Virtual University is viewed by many as an absolute necessity because of the nearly 500,000 additional students who plan to enter the California higher education system in the next decade.
The Web site has proven very successful, and receives an average of 120,000 visits every month. Long distance learning has become more popular with colleges across the country. According to a 1995 report by the US Department of Education and the National Center for Education Statistics, more than 33 percent of all post-secondary institutions in the country offered distance education.
Students use e-mail to communicate with their professors as well as turn in assignments. They also have class discussions with other students using chatrooms and message boards.
Anyway although technology has made its way into the heart of the educational system, it has not yet taken on a dominant role.
1. Would you like to study in a “Virtual University”?
2. What are the weak points of such method of teaching?
3. Do you think it is necessary to have an opportunity to interact with professors and other
students in a face-to-face way? Why?
4. Is it in the classrooms that the student learns the most important things?
5. Do you think that we must prepare for the future of electronically transmitted education?