1. chamber – place where Parliament meets for business
2. pre-war – before the war (here, before 1939)
3. Speaker – Member of Parliament who presides over the House of Commons
4 . the Opposition – members of the political party or parties that oppose the Government
5. cross bench – one that is across the floor, not along one side
6. the official Opposition – the main political party opposed to the Government,
(‘official’ because the Leader receives a salary paid by the State)
7. chairman – person who presides (e.g. the Speaker in the House of Commons)
8. catch his eye – get his attention; cause him to see that the Member wishes to speak
1. What kind of idea did Members of Parliament reject?
2. How many seats does the House of Commons have?
3. Where are the seats for the Government supporters and for the Opposition?
4. Who are Independent members?
5. What is the difference between the British House of Commons and Parliamentary
Chambers in many other countries?
6. What members of the Parliament have reserved seats?
7. Why do members of the Parliament stand up and face the Speaker?
8. They must address the Speaker, not the House as a whole, mustn’t they?
1.Заполните пропуски в следующих предложениях сочетанием must have, употребив глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Past Participle. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Someone ... (to tell) them what we were planning to do. 2. They don’t answer their telephone. They ... (to go) away somewhere. 3. She speaks English beautifully. She ... (to study) a long time. 4. He ... (to come) by taxi. 5. You ... (to work) fast in order to finish all of those exercises so quickly.
2. Устно переведите следующие предложения на русский язык. Подчеркните сложное дополнение.
1. She always thought him to be right. 2. Every mother wants her child to be happy. 3. I could never understand what made her do that. 4. The parents expected the teacher to improve the child’s speech. 5. I heard somebody mention his name. 6. We expect this statement to be true. 7. I believed the calculation to be correct.
3. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на сложное подлежащее. Подчеркните сложное подлежащее.
1. The experiment was supposed to have been completed. 2. Electric current is known to flow in metal parts. 3. The solution of this problem is said not to be easy. 4. Many new houses are planned to be built in our city. 5. This important problem is sure to be settled very soon.
4. Замените придаточные предложения герундиальным оборотом, употребив предлоги, данные в скобках:
1. Before the students graduate from the institute, they write their diplomas. (before) 2. When we were testing the machine, we found that it needed improvements. (on) 3. You will never know mathematics well unless you work hard at it. (without) 4. While I was solving these problems, I paid much attention to the correct computations. (while) 5. When I complete my work, I shall inform you of the fact. (on)
5. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на
форму герундия. Письменно назовите форму герундия.
1. I remember having obtained these data in our previous experiments. 2. We were surprised at hearing that he had refused to take part in the scientific conference. 3. We remember having been told about the different points of view on this theory. 4. This scientist achieved great results by working hard at the problem. 5. I remember having seen this device at our plant. 7. Solving difficult problems is his favourite occupation.
6. Устно переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на независимый причастный оборот. Подчеркните независимый причастный оборот.
1. It being very late, we had to return home. 2. The translation having been done, we went for a short walk. 3. College courses finished, all the Russia’s graduates hope to get work according to their speciality. 4. The new methods having been introduced, the productivity of labour at the plant went up. 5. There is always water vapour in the air, the amount depending upon various conditions.
7. Замените следующие предложения восклицательными, употребляя what, what a, how
Образцы: 1) She plays the piano well. – How well she plays the piano! 2) It is a beautiful day. – What a beautiful day!
1. They have learned German very quickly.
2. Mike speaks English very well.
3. We are having beautiful weather now.
4. London is a beautiful city.
5. She has good taste in everything
8. Письменно переведите на русский язык предложения, обратите внимание на модальное сказуемое.
1. They must have been working all the time, they look tired. 2. They might have forgotten to send us a telegram. 3. Could he have missed 5 o’clock train? 4. You ought to have helped him. 5. She must have read nothing about it. 6. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. 7. He might have been repairing his bicycle since morning. 8. You needn’t have come so early! 9. My friend couldn’t have sent such a letter. 10. Now I clearly see all the mistakes I made and could have avoided. 11. You must have misunderstood Mike. 12. He was to have had a music lesson in the morning but the teacher called up to cancel it. 13. He ought not to have sent that telegram. 14. No one could have done more than you did. 15. They shouldn’t have let her speak about it. 16. You needn’t have booked a room in the hotel. We have a spare bedroom. 17. Who was to have done this shopping?
9. Поставьте частицу toперед инфинитивом, где это необходимо.
1. He told me … try … do it once again. 2. Will you help me … move the table, please?3. You needn’t … ask for permission, I’ll let you … take my books whenever you like. 4. He is expected … arrive in a few days. 5. You had better … make a note of it. 6. I heard the door … open and saw a shadow … move across the floor. 7. The teacher made me … repeat it all again. 8. I’d rather … walk a little before going to bed. 9. I’ll have … go there. 10. You ought not … show your feelings. 11. Why not … wait a little longer? 12. You seem … know these places very well. 13. I felt her … shiver with cold. 14. We should love you … stay with us. 15. You are not … mention this to anyone. 16. I’m not … blame. 17. She helped me … get over my fear. 18. There is nothing … do but … wait till somebody comes … let us out. 19. There doesn’t seem … be anything wrong with you. 20. Rose wanted them ... stop laughing, wanted the curtain … come down. 21. Look here, Jane, why .. be cross? 22. He was heard … say so. 23. What made you … deceive me? 24. She was not able … explain anything. 25. We got Mother … cut up some sandwiches.
ТРЕТИЙ ВАРИАНТ КОНТРОЛЬНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ №4
1. Прочитайте текст и письменно ответьте по-английски на вопросы, следующие за текстом.