Для выполнения данных упражнений изучите следующие разделы английской грамматики: модальные глаголы, степени сравнения прилагательных и наречий, артикль и модальные глаголы.
Упражнение 1. Употребите модальный глагол в следующих предложениях.
1. Who ... answer my question?
2. Nobody... translate this text.
3. He ... to do this task at once.
4. ... I attend this meeting? - No, you needn't.
5. You ... have shown your notes to the teacher.
6. I asked him, but he... listen to me.
7. They ... have visited her, she was in the hospital.
8. Last summer we ... often go to the country.-
9. You ... do this work yourself.
10. ... you tell me the way to the station?
11. You ... have helped us but you didn't.
12. ... I leave for a while? - Yes, you ....
13. She ... be more attentive to her work.
14. You ... come so early.
Упражнение 2. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. We have to stay at home. 2. He was allowed to take this book. 3. Who is able to do this work? 4. He had to leave for Moscow earlier. 5. We are to take exams in June. 6. Are they allowed to visit you? 7. They were able to do this work in time. 8. I'll be able to pass my examinations. 9. She'll be allowed to watch TV. 10. I have to come in time. 11. The train is to come soon. 12. Will you be able to drive a car?
Упражнение 3. Заполните пропуски соответствующими модальными глаголами:
(must, should, would, ought to, have to, needn't, can, could, may).
1. They ... not do this work themselves. 2. You ... take my dictionary. 3. You don't look well, you ... consult the doctor. 4. She ... not speak any foreign language. 5. My friend lives a long way from his office and... get up early. 6. "... we discuss this question now?" - "No, we .... 7. He ... to help them, they need his help. 8. I'm glad you... come. 9.... you tell me the time? 10.... I go with you? No, you .... 11. Your... have told me about it. 12. Why... I help him if he doesn't want it?
Упражнение 4. Образуйте сравнительную и превосходную степень от
следующих прилагательных и наречий.
1. large, tall, long, easy, hot, big, cold, nice, bad, strong, short, wide, good,
happy, high, low, busy, well, little, many, far.
2. wonderful, necessary, quickly, interesting, comfortable, popular, active,
famous, pleasant, beautiful, slowly, clearly.
Упражнение 5. Раскройте скобки, употребив нужную степень сравнения
1. Winter is (cold) season of the year. 2. Moscow is (large) than St.Petersburg. 3. Which is (long) day of the year? 4. The Alps are (high) mountains in Europe. 5. Even (long) day has an end. 6. It is one of (important) questions of our conference. 7. Your English is (good) now. 8. Who knows him (well) than you? 9. We have (little) interest in this work than you. 10. Health is (good) than wealth. 11. He worked (well) of all. 12. Today he worked (slowly) than usually, 13. The Russian grammar is (difficult) than the English one.
Упражнение 6. Вставьте артикли a, an, the где они необходимы.
1. This is... pencil.... pencil is red. 2. She is... manager. 3. There are... many lowers in your garden.... flowers are beautiful. 4. Did you write ... plan? Give me your... plan, please. 5.... Black Sea is in ... South of Russia. 6.... Petrovs are very friendly. 7. This is ... Ann's book. 8. What... fine day it is today! 9.1 don't know... way to ... station. 10. Usually I get up at... 7 o'clock in ... morning. 11. Will you have... cup of... tea? 12.... Warsaw is ... capital of Poland.
Упражнение 7. Вставьте артикль the, где он необходим.
1. Do you live near school?
2. What is largest city in world?
3. This street is longest in town.
4. What city is capital of United States?
5. What did you have for lunch?
6. Peter is tallest in class.
7. We came into nearest shop.
S. Take pen and make exercise in written form.
9. In spring sky is blue and sun is shining.
10. Spring is best time for planting.
Упражнение 8. Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
William Shakespeare, … greatest English playwright, was born in 1564 in … Stratford-upon-Avon in …England. … Stradford is … small country town in … farming district near … centre of … England. … Avon, which is … pretty river with … grass and … trees all along its banks, runs through … Stratford. Not much is known of … Shakespeare’s father. He was … farmer who, at … different times of his life of, sold … meat and bought and sold … wool. He was poor and was often in … money difficulties. Very little is known about … life of his only son William also. …little house in which … great writer was born still stands. It is now … museum. William went to … school in … Stratford. In 1586 he went to … London. Probably … first work he did there was at one of the two theaters that there were in … London at that time. Then he became … actor and soon began to write … plays for … company of actors to which he belonged. Shakespeare bought … largest house in his home time in 1597, but he didn’t spend much time there till 1610. He spent … last years of his life mostly in … Stratford, but he often visited … London. He died in 1616.