Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)
Reading Comprehension Questions. Vocabulary Notes on the Text
Vocabulary Notes on the Text
Read and translate the text
1. What do you know about people involved in smuggling on board the vessels?
2. Do you think the ship's officers can do anything to prevent drug smuggling?
3. Is it easy to detect drug concealments aboard the ship?
There are two basic methods in which vessels may be used for drug smuggling. The first method involves organized conspiracy.
The organized conspiracy generally moves large quantities - i.e. 10 to several hundred kilograms of marijuana, cocaine or heroine. These conspiracies involve several, if not all crewmembers. Ships' officers and even the line's management may be involved. Concealment techniques are usually highly sophisticated, since the conspirators have had ample time to carefully hide the illegal drugs. The detection is likely to require substantial time and effort and the use of tools. The concealment location is likely to be a primary vessel system, such as the engine room, tanks, voids, compartments, or other external or external areas.
The second method involves the individual entrepreneur. He usually moves small quantities - i.e., several ounces to five or six kilograms of illegal drugs. He usually operates alone or with at most one or two confederates. Officers of the vessel and management personnel are rarely involved. Concealment techniques will not usually be sophisticated, since the smuggler will not have a great deal of time, effort, or the use of more than a screwdriver or wench. The concealment location is likely to be an area where no one person has access but where few are likely to go.
To detect either the organized conspiracy or the individual entrepreneur, vessel management should require vessels to be searched frequently prior to departure from high risk ports. These searches may be thorough, partial, or random. The fact that they are conducted frequently presents an additional deterrent to drug smuggling on board the carrier's vessels.
1. What are two basic methods of drug smuggling?
2. Who is involved in the organized conspiracy?
3. Why are their concealment techniques sophisticated?
4. Where are drugs most likely concealed?
5. What amount of drugs does an individual entrepreneur usually move?
6. Does he operate alone or does he have any confederates?
7. Why is it easier to detect an individual entrepreneur than the organized conspiracy?
8. What concealment location is the individual entrepreneur most likely to choose?
9. What is the purpose of frequent searches aboard the vessel?
10. Do you think the searches present an additional deterrent to drug smuggling on board the carrier's vessels?
Дата добавления: 2014-12-29; Просмотров: 52; Нарушение авторских прав?;