IV. Write down the Russian equivalents.
III. Give the Russian equivalents to the international words.
Commentary and Notes to the text
1. distribution [ˌdɪstrɪ'bjuːʃ(ə)n] распределение
2. storage ['stɔːrɪʤ]сохранение, хранение
3. critical ['krɪtɪk(ə)l] важный, насущный, необходимый
4. materials handling ['hændlɪŋ] ) погрузочно-разгрузочные работы, транспортировка материалов
5. order processing обработка заказов
6. utility [juː'tɪllətɪ] удобство, полезность
7. impact ['ɪmpækt] ) сильное воздействие; влияние
8. available [ə'veɪləbl] доступный; имеющийся в распоряжении, наличный
9. inventories ['ɪnv(ə)nt(ə)rɪ] наличные товары, материальные ценности
10.public warehouse ['weəhaus] склад общего пользования
11. shipment груз, партия товара
12. issue a receipt ['ɪʃuː ], ['ɪsjuː] [rɪ'siːt] выдавать расписку
13. assume [ə's(j)uːm] брать на себя (ответственность)
14. custody ['kʌstədɪ] опека; забота, попечение, надзор; защита, охрана
15. perishable ['perɪʃəbl] скоропортящийся товар, груз
II. Answer the following questions:
1. What does physical distribution consist of?
2. What does the physical distribution system include?
3. Why is the transportation of goods critical to business and consumers in our interdependent society?
4. What new means of transportation can today’s managers choose?
5. What is the storage function?
6. Why is the ownership of a warehouse an added cost of doing business?
7. Public warehouses are located across the country and abroad, aren’t they?
8. What responsibility does a public warehouse company assume?
Public, department, to classify, category, budget, section, project, commission, analyst, association, standard, to operate, figure, activity, to summarize, period, rent, divided, group, to accompany, contract, control.
а) прилагательных и причастий с отрицательным префиксом un-:
undesirable, unlimited, undeveloped, uneasy, unable, unexpected, unreal;
б) прилагательные с отрицательным префиксом in-,im-,ir-:
irresponsible, inadequate, improper, irregular, insufficient, impossible, inaccurate;
в) глаголов и существительных с отрицательным префиксом dis-:
disadvantage, disagreement, dissolve, disorganize, dislike.
1. The physical distribution system includes … of goods and their … .
2. The transportation of goods is … to business and consumers in our interdependent society.
3. New … of transportation are railroads, trucks, pipelines, airlines and ships.
4. … is the holding of goods from the time they are produced until their final use.
5. Warehousing, or the storage of goods, may be done by …, the wholesaler, or the retailer.
6. The ownership of a warehouse is … cost of doing business.
7. … provide public customers with storage and other services associated with storage.
8. A public warehouse company assumes … for the damage or loss of goods placed under its custody.
VI. Translate the sentences paying attention to the meaning of the words “some” and “the same”.
1. All markets have the same economic function: they form prices equaling the quantities of goods.
2. An improvement in technology makes it possible for firms to produce more goods with the same quantity.
3. Some economists have traced the economic development of a country by analyzing the impact of new means of transportation over the years.
4. There has been some rise of income in the past two decades in developing countries.
5. Public warehouses have received the same goods in large quantities and repackage them for smaller shipments to customers.
6. For the next twenty years the supply of energy will be limited in some sectors of the economy.
7. Some public warehouse companies have assumed responsibility for the caused damage.
8. An increase in the price of a substitute good will at the same time raise the demanded quantity.