1. Are differences in pronunciation between British English and American English numerous?
2. In what way do Americans pronounce a broad [a:] sound to words like bath and dance?
3. What is the difference in pronunciation of lieutenant in British and American English?
4. Are the expressions information bureau, a ticket agent, a booking clerk;a freight car, tobacconist’s British or are they American?
5. What will you get in Britain if you ask for dessert or biscuits?
6. Will it be always a mistake to write the words honour, colour, vigour, labour and the like without “u”, that is honor, color, vigor, labor?
7. Where is the letter –lnot doubled?
8. When one can find such words as nite, lite? What do they stand for?
1.Дайте британские эквиваленты. (Пользуйтесь словарём)
drug-store; fall (n.); truck; campus; faucet; elevator; sidewalk; food-store; candy; can (n.); gasoline; baggage; beauty-parlor; street-car; corn; cigar-store; apartment; store
2. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на модальное сказуемое.
1. You should have put more sugar in the pie. It isn’t sweet enough. 2. You needn’t have troubled. 3. It must have been raining when you left in the morning. 4. They don’t answer their telephone. They may have gone away somewhere. 5. You shouldn’t have done that. It is stupid. 6. She needn’t have opened the door. 7. You could have helped your little brother to solve that difficult problem. 8. He was to have had a music lesson in the morning but the teacher called up to cancel it. 9. The responsibility is entirely mine. I ought not to have let this relationship. 10. We needn’t havewaited for her because she never came at all. 11. You oughtn’t to have laughed at his mistakes. 12. You may have been joking, but he for sure wasn’t. 13. I wonder where you can have met him. 14. He hasn’t brought the book back, though he should have brought it last week.15. From afar the house might have been taken for a small inn. 16. The students ought to have done their tasks by Monday.
2. Замените сложноподчиненные предложения простыми, употребив сложное
дополнение. Устно переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. She thinks that her son is very good at physics.
2. We noticed that she entered the laboratory.
3. They expect that we shall solve all problems.
4. We noticed that she was writing something.
5. Our specialists expect that this new device will show high accuracy.
3. Употребите инфинитив, данный в скобках, в составе сложного дополнения. Устно переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. We watched them (to install) the equipment.
2. We heard the engineer (to speak) about this experiment.
3. We want this problem (to be solved) with the help of the new method.
4. They wanted the device (to be examined) carefully by experts.
5. I noticed them (to leave) the room.
4. Устно переведите следующие предложения на русский язык. Подчеркните сложное подлежащее.
1. Many new houses are planned to be built in our city.
2. The experiment was supposed to have been completed.
3. He is likely to be given this work.
4. The solution of this problem is said not to be easy.
5. Tsiolkovsky is known to have developed the theory of rocket flying.
6. This important problem is sure to be settled very soon.
7. Electric current is known to flow in metal parts.
5. Замените придаточные предложения герундиальным оборотом, употребив предлоги, данные в скобках:
1. When I complete my work, I shall inform you of the fact. (on)
2. When we were testing the machine, we found that it needed improvements. (on)
3. While I was solving these problems, I paid much attention to the correct computations.(while)
4. You will never know mathematics well unless you work hard at it. (without)
5. Before the students graduate from the institute, they write their diplomas. (before)
6. Устно переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, подчеркните независимый причастный оборот
1. There being an extensive system of free evening and correspondence education in the Russian Federation, a great number of people are part-time or correspondence students.
2. The translation having been done, we went for a short walk.
3. There is always water vapour in the air, the amount depending upon various conditions.
4. Technical and scientific problems having been solved, the first space flight could be realized.
5. It being very late, we had to return home.
7. Замените следующие предложения восклицательными, употребляя what, what a, how
Образцы: 1) She plays the piano well. – How well she plays the piano! 2) It is a beautiful day. – What a beautiful day!
1. She has good taste in everything
2. Mike speaks English very well.
3. We are having beautiful weather now.
4. St. Petersburg is a beautiful city.
5. They have learned English very quickly.
8. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на форму причастий. Письменно определите форму причастия
1. Having arrived two days before the opening of the conference, they had enough time to do the city.
2. Having seen so little of the country, he could not give full answers to all your questions.
3. Holiday accommodation and facilities being cheap, all the students can spend their vacation in camps and rest homes.
4. And laughing happily she left the room.
5. The workers having refused to return to work, the manager dismissed them from the plant.
6. Knowing how fond he is of good music, I brought him a few records.
9. Поставьте частицу to, где это необходимо.
1. I felt her … shiver with cold. 2. Will you help me … move the table, please? 3. You needn’t … ask for permission, I’ll let you … take my books whenever you like. 4. He is expected … arrive in a few days. 5. You seem … know these places very well. 6. I heard the door … open and saw a shadow … move across the floor. 7. He told me … try … do it once again. 8. I’d rather … walk a little before going to bed. 9. I’ll have … go there. 10. He was heard … say so. 11. Why not … wait a little longer? 12. You had better … make a note of it. 13. Mother made me … repeat it all again. 14. I’m not … blame. 15. You are not … mention this to anyone. 16. We got Mother … cut up some sandwiches. 17. Rose wanted them ... stop laughing, wanted the curtain … come down. 18. There is nothing … do but … wait till somebody comes … let us out. 19. There doesn’t seem … be anything wrong with you. 20. She helped me … get over my fear. 21. Look here, Jane, why .. be cross? 22. You ought not … show your feelings. 23. What made you … deceive me? 24. She was not able … explain anything. 25. We should love you … stay with us.
ПЯТЫЙ ВАРИАНТ КОНТРОЛЬНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ №4