Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)
I. Match the words with their definitions
II. Try to guess the meaning of the following words from the text.
I. Are the following statements true or false? Correct the false ones with the right information and discuss your answers with a partner.
a. An ancient inscription has been discovered at the entrance of a ruined temple in Petra.
b. Nearly 1.5 million tourists a year visit Petra.
c. The stone in Petra is so soft that the tourists’ feet are destroying it.
d. Tourism has been the world’s largest industry since the1960s.
e. It is now possible to go everywhere in the world on a package holiday.
f. In the 19th century, Thomas Cook organized tours of Europe’s cultural sites for rich people.
g. The number of foreign tourists has been growing gradually since 1939.
h. There will be a huge increase in the numbers of tourists to the Mediterranean.
i. The Swiss are considering ways of creating new mountains for skiers.
j. Nowadays, you can only go rafting down the Colorado River if you win a lottery.
k. The caves of Lascaux are going to be closed to the public and a replica is going to be built in Disneyland.
l. Local people are moving away from many historic city centers.
III. Find a word in the text that has the same or similar meaning to the following:
reached a decision defeated and controlled
hardly extremely beautiful or delicate
distant and far away admit, accept
having special rights and advantages left
IV. Work in groups of three. Discuss the following questions. Make use of the following expressions:In my opinion/view; to my mind; to my way of thinking; I am convinced that…; it strikes me that…; it is my firm belief that…; it seems to me that…; as far as I am concerned…; the main/greatest/first advantage…; another/one/one other/a further disadvantage…
1. What are the favorite tourist spots in your country? Do you live near to any of them? Do they have any problems?
2. List as many advantages and disadvantages of tourism as you can think of. Compare your lists with the other groups.
3. There is an organization called “Green Tourism”. Which in the following pairs do you think they will be in favour of? Which won’t they approve of? Why?
· package tourists or backpacking travelers?
· using public transport or traveling by special tourist coach?
· trekking in the Himalayas or wildlife safaris?
· staying in five-star hotels or youth hostels/
VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
1. to industrialize a to go away from smb/smth/place not intending to return
2. fume b a long walk
3. replica c the area mainly lived in by a particular national or social group
4. to broaden d to cut, carve smth
5. to abandon e to develop commercial activity
6. to chisel f to reduce or destroy smth gradually
7. tramp g gas that smells strongly and is dangerous to breathe in
8. to wire up h to make smth larger
9. to eat away at smth i to connect smb/smth to a piece of equipment
10 ghetto g an exact copy of smth
II. Fill in the gaps with the words from the vocabulary area in the appropriate form.
III. Correct the one underlined word, (A), (B) or (C).
A B C
world most treasured sites.
A B C
A B C
A B C
Дата добавления: 2014-11-16; Просмотров: 2567; Нарушение авторских прав?;