Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)
Read the passage and answer the questions
Translate the following sentences
Match the verbs on the left and the prepositions on the right.
Write the definitions.
Match the words and the translation.
1) full-time job a. браться за работу
2) part-time job b. работа на полной ставке
3) to take on a job c. быть без работы
4) to be out of a job d. работа на полставки
1) manual work a. брать подработку
2) to take on extra work b. физический труд
3) physical work c. ручной труд
4) skilled work d. квалифицированный труд
1) A typist……………………………………………………………
3) A nurse……………………………………………………………
4) A vet ……………………………………………………………..
5) A teacher………………………………………………………….
1) work … the university a. –
2) work … a law ﬁrm b. at
3) work … industry c. for
4) work … part-time d. in
1) Выбор твоей будущей профессии один из самых серьезных решений в твоей жизни.
2) Найди хорошо оплачиваемую работу и будешь успешным и счастливым.
3) Очень важно реализовать себя, использовать все свои навыки и умения.
4) У него настоящий талант —он будет отличным программистом.
Text 1 Jump to History of Popcorn:
Popcorn, also known as popping corn, is a special variety of corn (Zea mays everta). Each kernel contains a tiny drop of water. When it is heated, the water expands causing the kernel to explode and flip inside out. Most US popcorn is grown in Nebraska and Indiana, and increasingly in Texas.
Native Americans first discovered popcorn thousands of years ago in Guatemala or Mexico. It was popped in China during the Song Dynasty (960-279) as well as in Sumatra and India long before Columbus reached the Americas. In 1948 and 1950, anthropologist Herbert Dick and botanist Earle Smith discovered ears of popcorn in the Bat Cave of west central New Mexico. The ears measured from smaller than a penny to about 2 inches. They were carbon dated to be about 5,600 years old.
In 1519 when he invaded Mexico, Hernando Cortes first saw popcorn when he met the Aztecs. Popcorn was important to the Aztecs as food, as decoration for ceremonial headdresses and necklaces, and as ornaments on statues of their gods. Around 1612, French explorers around the Great Lakes met Iroquois who used heated sand in a pottery vessel to make popcorn.
There is an unproven theory that an Indian named Quadequina brought a deerskin bag of popped corn for first Thanksgiving feast on October 15, 1621.
Colonial housewives served popcorn with sugar and cream for breakfast. Some colonists used a cylinder of thin sheet-iron that revolved on an axle in front of the fireplace to make popped corn.
In 1885, Charles Cretors of Chicago, Illinois, invented the first popcorn machine. Street vendors were soon pushing steam or gas-powered poppers through fairs, parks, and expositions. Today much of the popcorn you buy at movies and fairs is popped in machines manufactured by the Cretors family. In 1914, in Sioux City, Iowa, Cloid H. Smith created America's first branded popcorn (Jolly Time), and for the first time, popcorn was available in grocery stores.
Americans eat more than 17 billion quarts of popcorn a year, an average of 60 quarts per person per year. As the result of an elementary school project, popcorn became the official state snack food of Illinois. January 19 is National Popcorn Day, and October is National Popcorn Month.
1) Popcorn, also known as popping corn, is a special variety of corn (Zea mays everta). Each kernel contains a tiny drop of In 1914, in Sioux City, Iowa, Cloid H. Smith created America's first branded popcorn (Jolly Time), and for the first time, popcorn was available in grocery stores.
What does branded mean in this context?
A) Something to eat
B) Something to sell
C) A product with a company name or logo
D) Something to mark farm animals
2) In 1885, Charles Cretors of Chicago, Illinois, invented the first popcorn machine. Street vendors were soon pushing steam or gas-powered poppers through fairs, parks, and expositions.
What is a vendor in this context? What is an axle in this context?
A) someone who sells something
B) a kind of engine
C) someone who buys something
3) "When it is heated, the water expands causing the kernel to explode and flip inside out."
What does the word "expands" mean in the sentence above?
A) get larger
C) get smaller
4) "Around 1612, French explorers around the Great Lakes met Iroquois who used heated sand in a pottery vessel to make popcorn."
What is a vessel in this context?
A) a boat
B) a platform
C) a container
D) a vehicle
2) In your opinion, what could be the title for the second to last paragraph?
— the Life of Charles Cretors
— National Popcorn Month
— Popcorn in Colonial America
— How the Manufacturing of Popcorn Grew over Time
3) What question is answered in the third paragraph?
a) When were the earliest examples of popcorn discovered?
b) What did Earle Smith think of his discovery?
c) Who popped the popcorn dated 5,600 years old?
d) Where in the United States is popcorn grown?
4) What could be the title for the first paragraph?
a) The History of Popcorn
b) What is Popcorn?
c) How Popcorn is Used
d) The Discovery of Popcorn
5) What could be the title for the last paragraph?
a) Popcorn is popular in America!
b) The History of Popcorn
c) How Popcorn is Made
d) The Discovery of Popcorn
Дата добавления: 2015-07-02; Просмотров: 2780; Нарушение авторских прав?;