Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)
Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
The European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and
Insert one of the following words in an appropriate form into the text.
Prepositions. Choose the right prepositions in brackets according to the content of the sentences.
Make up sentences out of these words and expressions and translate them.
Mark these statements T(true) or F (False) according to the text. Find the part of the text that gives correct information.
1. The direct predecessor of the European Convention on Human Rights is the Constitution of the USA.
2. Contracting States undertake to protect human rights set out in the Convention.
3. All the Contracting States have incorporated the Convention into their own law.
4. The Court’s judgement reached by majority vote is ultimate.
5. The Strasbourg Court is a substitute for every national court.
6. A Contracting State has no right to bring a case against another Contracting State.
7. The Court may require a state to pay financial compensation, including damages and the costs of the proceedings.
1.Austria / important/ modified/ of/ sections/ its code/ of/ concerning/ criminal/ procedure/ treatment of prisoners/ in/ hospitals.
2.Denmark/ the/ amended/ law/ on custody/ illegitimate children/ of.
3.France/ telephone communications/ passed/ a law/ of/ the security/ relating to.
4.Greece/ detention/ amended/ the/ law/on /provisional.
5.Sweden/ instruction/ religious /amended/ the/ on/ compulsory/law.
6.The/ UK/ in/ state / schools/ outlawed/ punishment/corporal.
(by, for, with, without, according to, in, on )
1. … recent years number of cases considered by the Court has increased considerably as the Convention’s reputation has grown.
2. The European Convention on Human Rights represents “the first steps … the collective enforcement of certain of the rights stated … the Universal Declaration”.
3. The Convention provides … a European Court of Human Rights to deal … individuals’ petitions and their interstate cases.
4. The right to a fair trail, both in civil and criminal proceedings, is guaranteed …Art. 6 of the ECHR.
5. The Additional Protocol of 1998 included the right to equal opportunities and treatment with regard to employment and careers, ... discrimination based ... sex.
6. Everyone charged … a criminal offence shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty … the law (Art. 5 of ECHR).
7. Men and women of marriageable age have the right to marry and found a family … the national laws governing the exercise of this right. (Art. 12 of ECHR).
The European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment was … in 1987 and came into … in 1989. The … supplements the protection available under the European Convention on Human Rights by establishing a European Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT)
This Committee is … of independent and impartial … from a variety of backgrounds, including law, medicine, prison affairs and …
The Committee visits places of detention, which may … prisons, police stations, aliens’ holding centres, … at army barracks or psychiatric institutions, to see how detainees are treated. The Committee has unlimited … to places of detention and can interview, in private, detainees or any other persons who can provide relevant information, including non-governmental organizations (NGOs) concerned with … as well as the authorities themselves.
The aim of collecting this information is to strengthen the protecting of detainees against torture and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
5. Write down the following abbreviations in full words and compose sentences to illustrate their meaning: ECHR (EHR treaty), OAS, UN, Art., ECOSOC (of the United Nations), UNDR, CPT .
Дата добавления: 2014-11-20; Просмотров: 593; Нарушение авторских прав?;