Архитектура-(3434)Астрономия-(809)Биология-(7483)Биотехнологии-(1457)Военное дело-(14632)Высокие технологии-(1363)География-(913)Геология-(1438)Государство-(451)Демография-(1065)Дом-(47672)Журналистика и СМИ-(912)Изобретательство-(14524)Иностранные языки-(4268)Информатика-(17799)Искусство-(1338)История-(13644)Компьютеры-(11121)Косметика-(55)Кулинария-(373)Культура-(8427)Лингвистика-(374)Литература-(1642)Маркетинг-(23702)Математика-(16968)Машиностроение-(1700)Медицина-(12668)Менеджмент-(24684)Механика-(15423)Науковедение-(506)Образование-(11852)Охрана труда-(3308)Педагогика-(5571)Полиграфия-(1312)Политика-(7869)Право-(5454)Приборостроение-(1369)Программирование-(2801)Производство-(97182)Промышленность-(8706)Психология-(18388)Религия-(3217)Связь-(10668)Сельское хозяйство-(299)Социология-(6455)Спорт-(42831)Строительство-(4793)Торговля-(5050)Транспорт-(2929)Туризм-(1568)Физика-(3942)Философия-(17015)Финансы-(26596)Химия-(22929)Экология-(12095)Экономика-(9961)Электроника-(8441)Электротехника-(4623)Энергетика-(12629)Юриспруденция-(1492)Ядерная техника-(1748)
Some of these verbs can be used in the Present continuous but with a change in meaning. In the Continuous the verb expresses an activity not a state
USE 8 Actions characterizing a given person
USE 7 Future meaning after some conjuctions.
Simple Present is used in sport commentaries and various reviews.
USE 6 Reviews, sports commentaries and dramatic narrative.
Simple Present is used in adverbial clauses of time and condition after the conjunctions: when, if, till, until, as soon as, as long as, before, after, while, unless, in case, on condition that, provided.
Simple Present is used to denote actions characterizing a given person.
Time expressions used with the Present Simple:
[am/is/are + present participle]
In the interrogative form the auxiliary verb is placed before the subject. In the negative form the negative particle not is placed after the auxiliary verb.
love – loving
live - living
BUT: age – ageing , dye – dyeing, single – singleing
see - seeing
agree - agreeing
free - freeing
die - dying
lie - lying
hit – hitting
run – running
stop – stopping
begin – beginning
prefer – preferring
BUT : budget – budgeting, enter – entering, offer – offering, open – opening
travel – travelling
signal – signalling
control - controlling
carry – carrying
enjoy – enjoying
hurry – hurrying
8. several verbs ending in –c change their spelling adding a letter ‘k’ before –ing
panic – panicking
traffic – trafficking
frolic - frolicking
Whereas all verbs can be used in the common aspect, there are some verbs that do not have the forms of the continuous aspect. They are referred to as statal verbs. The most common of them are the following:
1) Verbs expressing mental activity:
e.g. Do you believe in God?
2) Verbs expressing emotional state:
e.g. I like black coffee
3) Verbs expressing sense perception:
e.g. The soup tastes delicious.
4) Verbs expressing possession:
e.g. His father owns a chain of hotels.
5) Verbs of other existing states:
e.g. How much does it cost?
Continuous and non – continuous uses
Many of the verbs included in the list above have the continuous form when they are used in other meanings.
List of verbs that can be used in the continuous form with examples and definitions:
· Donna appears confused. Statal Verb. (Donna seems confused)
· My favorite singer is appearing at the jazz club tonight. Actional Verb (My favourite singer is giving a performance at the jazz club)
· I have a dollar now. Statal Verb (I possess a dollar).
· I am having fun now. Actional Verb(I am experiencing fun now)
· Nancy looks tired. Statal Verb (She seems tired).
· Farah is looking at the pictures. Actional verb (She is looking with her eyes).
· John misses Sally. Statal Verb (He is sad because she is not there)
· Debbie is missing her favorite TV program. Actional verb (She is not there to see her favourite program)
· I see her. Statal Verb (I see her with my eyes).
· I am seeing the doctor. Actional verb (I am visiting or consulting a doctor. It is also used with “dentist” and “lawyer”)
· I am seeing her. Actional verb (I am having a relationship with her).
· He is seeing ghosts at night. Actional verb (He sees something others cannot see, e.g. ghosts, aura, a vision of the future, etc.)
· The coffee smells good. Statal Verb (The coffee has a good smell).
· I am smelling the flowers. Actional verb (I am sniffing the flowers to see what their smell is like).
· The coffee tastes good. Statal Verb (The coffee has a good taste).
· I am tasting the cake. Actional verb (I am trying the cake to see what its taste like).
· He thinks the test is easy. Statal Verb (He considers the test to be easy).
· She is thinking about the question. Actional verb (She is pondering the question, going over it in her mind).
· The table weighs a lot. Statal Verb (The table is heavy).
· She is weighing herself. Actional verb (She is determining her weight)
Дата добавления: 2014-10-31; Просмотров: 371; Нарушение авторских прав?;